Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Post 9: Check Yes for Grouchy


All right. So it’s tech week for this play I’m in. Read: I’m tired, I’m loaded to the eyes with homework, and yes, English Class, I am a suffering, whiny mess. For the non-drama-heads, tech week is comparable to hell week for sports. It’s a week of super intense line memorization, onstage blocking, and five hours of quality time spent with our cast members after school every day (which usually ends in the intense desire to rip each other’s heads off because of the stress).

Truth be told, I don’t feel like doing anything. I’m shivering from cold, but I’m too tired to get some socks on. My hands feel gross because I haven’t washed them in five hours, but I can’t wash them because I’ll spend too much time on that when I have to finish this blog by the deadline. (Notice the run-on sentences? An observation of mine: when people are tired, they generally answer in either very short or very long sentences. I am a long-sentence person.)

Now normally I’m not a big fan of whining, and I know that Rower probably won’t be too happy after reading this—didn’t anything about the unattractiveness of a constantly complaining person go into my head this week? Well, you know what? Complaining is a release. It’s an outlet that allows people to harmlessly let out whatever has been bothering us (though abuse of this outlet comes at the expense of our own social demise). And knowing how unbecoming complaining is, I’ll probably edit this post later so that I don’t sound like such a grouch.

See, if I don’t get it all out now, you’ll just be wondering at the rain cloud over me tomorrow morning. Plus I’m not allowed to complain at home. Never was. I was supposed to use my grown-up tone, or something. Did this actually work? Sure; but not when I was a child. Like this website says, “Asking a cranky child to justify his feelings or to explain what he wants is fruitless: it will only frustrate the child even more.”

Okay. Maybe I should just stop while the run-on sentence count is still below ten.

6 comments:

  1. Dearest Origin,
    I feel your pain. I too have to suffer through Tech Week and i absolutely agree with everything you said in your blog. It is hell week and by the end of the night I'm ready to either yell at someone for goofing off and/or cry from stress and/or fall asleep back stage. However, looking back, i realize that tech week is a very necessary and helpful experience. It makes us stronger actors and as sad as this is, it forces us into performing to our best result by the time opening night comes. Tech week provides the necessary pressure to push us into realizing how close our production truly is. On another note, I also agree. I love to complain and whine about everything when I'm stressed. It makes me feel so much better :] Great blog and I enjoy your run on sentences.

    -Marquan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Complaining is indeed an outlet for our stress and built-up negativity. It allows us to pity ourselves and feel better about the situation that we're in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must agree that even if complaining makes us sound like untamed little children, it's necessary for the sake of our sanity! With all the stress and busy schedules that we lead each day, complaining is the easiest and effortless way to get all the stress out of our heads. Sure, there are other less degrading options available, but with our lack of time, it can be hard to fit in that yoga and meditation session, or even some exercising to reduce stress and release the magical "feel-good" endorphins. Good thing for you, hell week is finally over! And at the end of the day, hopefully you could say that all the stress and hardwork was worth it. In times of stress, always remember to stay strong, Origin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though you were complaining, I actually enjoyed hearing your "whining". You mention how at home you are expected to "use your grown-up tone", but the way you complained in your post was actually very grown up. Instead of whining to simply get your way, you complained in order to let off some steam and keep your sanity; no one can blame you for doing that. If everybody whined and complained the way you just did, the world would be a much more pleasant, and entertaining, place. I hope the play was worth all the work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a complainer without a doubt. My best friend has threatened me with a tally sheet to count how many times I complain over a short period of time. But tech week was absolutely KILLER. As a fellow cast member, the desire to decapitate several OTHER members was not too far from my mind ANY given day of production. Being grouchy is not a crime. It is a natural reaction to stress. I honestly can't stand it when it is looked down upon. So should I feel guilty for feeling grouchy? No, I do not think so. When one is grouchy, it is best to just leave them be. When someone repetitively asks you what is wrong, it is similar to being prodded with a stick; annoying and unnecessary. Great post! But hey the plays over, we can finally relax!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Minnie here to try to cheer you up! I know exactly how you're feeling - when everything just builds up at the same time. It's overwhelming, I know. I really like you're provided quote though. It's so true. I feel myself trying to justify the humanly things that I do, but I can't and I just give up and say "I do it just because!" Hope things get better for you Origin!

    ReplyDelete